Concrete driveways are a popular choice for homeowners due to their longevity, reliability and sleek look. We at Brown’s Paving and Excavation do a lot of concrete pouring in Lufkin, TX for residential driveways and have seen firsthand the beautiful look of a completed concrete driveway.
However, most people do not realize that concrete is also a great sustainable building material. Many of its properties make it reusable and eco-friendly. If environmentally friendly building materials are important to you, you might want to consider using concrete to create your new beautiful driveway:
- Abundant: The major component used to create concrete is limestone, which is one of the most abundant minerals on earth. Limestone is also called calcium carbonate, which is formed from the remains of marine life, and is thus abundant and created anew in the ocean, as well. This substance will be around for a very, very long time.
- Recyclable: Old concrete can be crushed down for use as aggregate for new concrete mixtures, making it recyclable. It can also be used in chunks for other applications, like along waterways to prevent erosion. Additionally, industrial slag is also used as an aggregate material for concrete and would otherwise be discarded into landfills, making concrete a recycler as well as being recyclable itself.
- Preserves water: New types of pervious or porous concrete can allow water to pass through it easily rather than have it run off. This helps preserve storm water, cycling it back into the soil below and helping to prevent erosion.
- Minimal waste: Very little concrete ever goes to waste due to its recyclability. Concrete can be made in quantities to fit the needs of your project, leaving very little waste afterwards. If there is leftover concrete, it can be crushed down or formed into blocks or slabs for use in other applications.
- Durability: Concrete lasts a very long time and will not rust, rot or burn like other materials. Because of this, structures made of concrete are able to last two to three times as long as other materials. This extended lifespan means that fewer materials are required and results in even less waste.
- Special innovations: A newly patented type of concrete called photocatalytic concrete is being used in Italy to decrease pollution and smog in the air. The smog is attracted to the compounds in the concrete and binds to it before being neutralized by the sun and washed away as salts. If used in roads and driveways, this type of concrete can help cut down on air pollution.
If you’re interested in building a concrete driveway, call a professional concrete contractor in Lufkin, TX. Brown’s Paving and Excavation has over 30 years of experience offering dependable excavating and paving services to residential, commercial and industrial clients. Whether you need a site cleared or require concrete pouring in Lufkin, TX, we’re here to help! We also provide preventative maintenance services and cleanup services after a job is complete. Give us a call today to learn more!
This post was written by Writer