When you think about adding an outdoor space onto your home, your first thought might be to go with a wood deck. After all, it’s a traditional choice, and you’ve likely seen plenty of decks made of this material. However, other materials offer benefits that wood simply doesn’t. A concrete or asphalt patio is more like a courtyard added onto a house and can be a less expensive and more enjoyable alternative.
If you’re thinking about these options, you should contact a concrete and asphalt contractor in Lufkin, TX. After all, summer is already here, and you’ll want to be able to enjoy that patio in the coming months. Let’s look at some reasons why wood isn’t the best choice, and why you should choose a different material for your patio instead:
- Wood is liable to rot and splinter: The good news is you can get untreated wood cheaply. The bad news is that it’s liable to rot due to weather conditions. Insects can also easily invade untreated wood and eat away at it, leaving you with a mess.
- Wood can be expensive: While untreated wood can often be purchased cheaply, the better treated wood or composite options are more expensive. If you want to retain the color of a high-quality wood like cedar, you’ll need to reseal it every two years, adding another expense and a time-consuming process.
- Wood may fade: One common problems owners of treated wood decks report is that the color fades over time. If your interest in a wood deck is aesthetic, you might want to think twice due to this problem.
- Concrete is easy to maintain and inexpensive: An alternative to wood that many homeowners are choosing for patios is concrete. That’s because it doesn’t cost as much and requires very little in terms of maintenance.
- Flagstone is durable and beautiful: If concrete doesn’t cut it for your home’s style, flagstone is another popular option. This is a bit pricier than concrete, but retains a beautiful look while withstanding the elements.
For the finest in patio construction, trust the region’s clear choice for an asphalt or concrete contractor in Lufkin, TX: Brown’s Paving and Excavation. For more than 30 years, we’ve been a premier provider of paving and excavating services, completing projects quickly and to high standards. We have all manner of commercial, industrial and residential customers. No job is too big or too small for our experts, and we take pride in everything we do, from driveways to parking lots and patios. With our deep experience in the field, our loyal customer base knows we’ll do the job right the first time. That’s why we back all our work with a quality guarantee. We even crush rocks in-house so that we can sell our customers higher quality product at a competitive rate. Contact us right now to learn more about our products and services and receive a free estimate—we look forward to working with you this summer!
This post was written by Writer