While resurfacing your parking lot or driveway is sometimes a necessary task, it’s not one you should have to rely on to keep your asphalt in good condition. After all, this is a significant expense, and not one you’re likely to have budgeted for.
Therefore, to avoid having to fully resurface your pavement, we encourage you to be as proactive as possible with your asphalt maintenance. Keep your pavement in good condition and avoid issues that could result in faster deterioration. Here are just a few tips from an asphalt contractor in Lufkin, TX that will help you achieve better asphalt maintenance:
- Correct any drainage problems that exist: Water is one of the main causes of pavement failure. If water flows underneath the base course of your pavement and causes any sort of disruption, it won’t take long for it to cause a pothole to form. If you notice you have lots of standing water on your asphalt, you should get in touch with a contractor as soon as possible to discuss how you can improve your drainage and avoid long-term damage.
- Keep loads under control: You should try to avoid having larger vehicles like delivery trucks and garbage trucks on your asphalt if at all possible—the weight these vehicles carries can do some significant damage to your pavement. If you’re able to limit the amount of access they have to your pavement, you’ll also limit the stress your pavement is forced to endure. Try moving your garbage containers closer to a roadway to provide easier access for pickup.
- Keep up with sealcoating: Sealcoating is an important process to protect the surface of your asphalt from the elements and prevent water damage. Sealcoated surfaces also look great, thanks to their dark black color—oxidized asphalt tends to have a paler gray color.
- Fill any cracks that form: If you notice cracks forming in your parking lot or asphalt driveway, you should fill them up as soon as possible, as otherwise water could get down below the asphalt through the cracks and begin eating away at the pavement from underneath. There are many different types of crack filling products you can purchase at local hardware and home goods stores, but if the cracks are large or numerous, contact a contractor to get the job done for you.
- Keep the surface of the asphalt clear of debris: Sweeping and blowing your driveway and parking lot keeps it clear of safety hazards, such as loose gravel or glass, and also helps you get a better sense of the condition of your asphalt. If you do not clean the pavement regularly, the debris could be covering up damaged portions of the asphalt that will result in asphalt failures you could have otherwise prevented.
Interested in learning more about the best strategies for keeping up with your asphalt maintenance? Contact an experienced asphalt contractor in Lufkin, TX at Brown’s Paving and Excavation and we will be happy to work with you.
Categorised in: Asphalt Contractor
This post was written by Writer