Concrete is an excellent alternative to asphalt driveways for many homeowners and business owners. Compared to asphalt, concrete is much harder, which means that it can be more durable when cared for correctly. Unlike asphalt, however, concrete is more susceptible to staining, cracking and chipping, meaning that it’s exceptionally important to exercise care and caution when dealing with a concrete driveway.
Working with a qualified concrete contractor in Lufkin, TX is the best way to determine if a concrete driveway is right for you and your home. If it is, you can rely on your concrete contractor to help you pursue a maintenance plan and schedule that will keep your surface looking great for as long as possible. Overlooking your concrete driveway until it’s cracked, stained or chipped, however, could mean that you’ll have to invest in costly, premature repairs and replacement.
There are a number of routine maintenance procedures that you can follow that will help you make the most of your concrete surface, including the following:
- Prevent and fill cracks: The best way to address cracks in your driveway is to prevent them from happening in the first place. Consider placing root barriers if there are large trees near your driveway, and avoid driving heavy trucks over its surface. Additionally, fill any cracks that may form as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
- Avoid chemical deicers: Never use salt or any other type of chemical deicer on a concrete driveway. These products can cause the surface to degrade and erode prematurely, resulting in costly repairs down the road. Instead, shovel snow and ice off the driveway, and consider using a beet sugar deicing solution to remove residual ice.
- Minimize water: Water carved the Grand Canyon, and it can similarly work its way through your concrete driveway. Ensure that your driveway has proper drainage, and be aware of any source of water that may flow directly onto the driveway, like gutters, downspouts or garden runoff.
- Remove spilled liquids immediately: Motor oil, gasoline and other contaminants cause permanent staining and even damage to concrete surfaces. Use kitty litter, followed by a degreasing soap solution, to remove spilled oils and other liquids. Use a non-abrasive brush to remove any ground-in stains from your concrete.
- Reapply sealer as necessary: Consult with your concrete contractor in Lufkin, TX to determine how often you should clean your concrete surface and reapply a concrete sealer. Regularly resealing your concrete can help you prevent cracking, chipping, staining and more.
Brown’s Paving and Excavation has been a trusted concrete contractor in Lufkin, TX for more than three decades. We’re proud to provide our clients with quality concrete paving and maintenance services and more. Whether you’re a homeowner looking for a way to improve your curb appeal or a business owner hoping to draw more business to your commercial site, you can rely on the expertise and skill of the team at Brown’s Paving and Excavation to help you install and maintain a concrete driveway that meets your needs.
Categorised in: Concrete Contractor
This post was written by Writer